Evening 1 – 6-9pm – Intro night! Get gear and packs dialed for the first day, meet new friends and goodie bag hand out.
Day 1 – 8am start – First day out. Welcome to backcountry skiing! Increase familiarity and comfort with movements and equipment.
Day 2 8am start – Review movement and equipment. Learn more efficiency and continue to refine skills.
Designed for skiers who love spending time in the mountains riding fresh snow and who want to start traveling in the backcountry. No backcountry experience is necessary. This Intro to Backcountry Skiing course will consist of one intro night and 2 days in the Tahoe Backcountry.
This course will go a bit deeper than a typical single day intro course by providing two full days of backcountry skills education with AMGA trained guides. This course is a fantastic precursor to a traditional three day avalanche course.
Skiers taking this course should be mentally and physically prepared to spend the whole day outside in winter elements hiking and skiing. We will pace ourselves, but the days are full! We will search for the best conditions but the weather can be variable. The skiing experience and positive attitude each individual brings to the course will enhance the weekend.
- Familiarity with backcountry skiing equipment
- Transitioning to ski mode from walk mode
- Various techniques for efficient uphill travel
- How to use avalanche safety equipment: beacon, shovel and probe
- What to bring in your pack
- How to pack your bag
- Managing gear in the elements
- Layering clothes
- Skills taught are an ideal prerequisite to enrolling in an AVY 1 course