Skip to Content

Alpenglow Expeditions Response to Covid-19

Dear Alpenglow Expeditions Family,

Never in our 16 year history (short for the planet, long for us) have we faced a situation where shutting down all international and local guiding is the right thing to do. But today, we need to play our part in stemming the threat of Covid-19, and encourage health and prevention practices by our guides, staff and members.

In light of community health advisories from various government agencies, we have made the decision to postpone our Lake Tahoe mountain guiding operations for 2 weeks, at which point we will reassess the situation. This has been a tough decision for our team with all the new snow and ski resorts being closed, but we know it’s the right thing to do as leaders in our little mountain community of outdoor lovers.


Possible reopening April 1 – Reservation System is Open

Alpenglow Operations Director Logan Talbott assessing current conditions in the Tahoe backcountry.

At this time, we plan to reassess our operations starting on April 1. Our guides are excited to get back to work showing all of you what the Tahoe backcountry has to offer. We are currently accepting reservations for courses and backcountry guiding from April 1 through the end of the spring season. You can either book online or give us a call at 877-873-5376. Our office staff is continuing to work and will be answering phones, emails, and website chats.

If you are currently reserved for an Alpenglow course or tour prior to April 1, we will be in contact to offer a credit to rebook with us for any activity through next season. You will also have the option of a refund. In the case that you reserve for a course after April 1, and we need to further postpone the same offer of credit or refund will be made.


More Snow on the Horizon

The current forecast is calling for more snow through the end of March, and we should have excellent skiing and riding conditions when we are hopefully able to reopen. If you choose to venture out on your own between now and April 1, please make sure you understand the avalanche conditions by checking in with the Sierra Avalanche Center. They remain open and provide necessary information about backcountry travel.

In the meantime, look for continued virtual inspiration from us via social media (Instagram, Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn) and emails, and as soon as possible I hope you will join us once again when we can safely and ethically play in the mountains! Until then, self-isolate, wash your hands and support your community medical services and people struggling. And thank you for all of the ways you support our team and me here at Alpenglow ✌👊


Adrian Ballinger

Founder/CEO of Alpenglow Expeditions