Cho Oyu & Everest Team Update
Monday, April 30:
In preparation for a Cho/Everest push, guides Adrian and Topo tested their team of climbers with an acclimatization climb up
Conditions were good with “real low wind and not much snow, just a little cloudy.” The team had a successful summit push and returned to base camp to organize gear and prepare for puja the next day.
After some well-deserved sleep, they reported, “All sherpa down and resting after big effort! Sunny and beautiful this morning after a bit more snow last night”
Wednesday, May 2:
Adrian and Topo are waiting for favorable conditions to climb Cho Oyu. They are keeping an eye out for for a clear weather window- current models show there may be a break starting May 10-11th.
“We are doing good here. All loads and ropes in to high camp (c2) But I think we slow down now due to wind coming. We will hope to catch a summit day at end of our possible window (10/11). Until then we will do some rotations to c1.”
Thursday, May 3:
The team settled into Camp 1. In order to build the camp, 45 yaks carried 2 tons of equipment to almost 19,000′.
“Big winds predicted for the mountain from the 5th-10th, we’re going to need this infrastructure to stay warm and safe. But first, we’re going to try to squeeze in a quick strike to 7000 meters.”